Thursday, May 13, 2010

I don't like being publicly acknowledged.

Last week at our annual general meeting, I was publicly acknowledged several times.

I don't like it. Actually, I should say, I don't like it when I'm there. I don't mind being acknowledged when I'm not around. But when I'm there, it's awkward.

I'm never really sure what facial expression to have. Do I grin? Keep stern? Look down? I don't know. I kind of keep my face pleasant and I look at the speaker. During applause I nod my head in a quick thank you.

Sometimes I clap, but then I quickly stop because I realize I'm clapping for myself. However, if I'm being acknowledged along with other people, I do clap and feel it's okay because I'm clapping for them, not for me.

A few times I watched other people who were being publicly acknowledged. They seemed just as uncomfortable and confused as me.

Last year was worse than this year because last year I had to stand up and give a wave. Very awkward and embarrassing. This year I didn't stand up. I stayed in my seat and tried to will myself to disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment