Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How to deal with "drama" at work

In my last three jobs, I've experienced "drama" at work. Yesterday I found out that the government cut 100% of our funding. We're a small, not-for-profit. One staff person was laid off immediately. More will probably be laid off and the association could dissolve.

In my last job, our manager blew up in a meeting and went around the table insulting most of her staff, one-by-one. Then she quit on the spot. The company later closed the offices down and let everyone go.

In the job before that, the company just stopped paying us. I showed up on pay day and there was no cheque for me. I hung around a couple extra weeks, believing their promises that they would pay us and they were a little short etc., then just walked out one day. I'm still waiting for that last pay cheque...

Here's my humble advice about how to deal with drama at work.


  • Don't say anything during the crisis. Stay quiet.

  • Don't believe upper management's words. If you want a hint about what's going to happen, pay more attention to their actions.

  • Don't get emotional or take sides directly after the event. Stay quiet and keep your head down. Make other plans. (i.e. look for a new job).

  • Never ever think that you are safe. You aren't. You're very replaceable and the company you work for probably doesn't have much loyalty to you. The company you work for is also replaceable.

  • It's usually pretty exciting! A crisis is a good break from the mundane, day-to-day activities. Watch everyone freak out, while you nod your head and play it cool, a knowing smile on your lips. You can freak out later at home.

1 comment: