Saturday, July 25, 2009

It’s July 25 and I haven’t cut my grass yet.

I haven’t got around to it. I don’t have a lawn mower. Our front yard is so small I can barely justify buying a lawn mower.

Our neighbour has been mowing our lawn for us. It’s a bit annoying because I didn’t ask him to. He started off mowing half our lawn, just because it’s such a small area and it’s directly adjacent to his.

Then I guess he got fed up with the tall grass on the other side of the lawn so he mowed that too. Now I feel indebted to him. I need to reciprocate somehow and I don’t want to.

Also, his lawn mower cuts the grass too short and it’s been hot lately. Now all our grass is brown. At least when our grass was long, it looked green. It didn’t even look long because it had reached the point where the long grass stalks tipped over, flattening themselves. The lawn actually looked decent at first glance.

Now it just looks dead and brown.

  • Why do we cut our lawns anyway? We don’t like them long? Then why don’t we feel compelled to cut natural grasses in the forests or fields?
  • If we have such respect for nature and its wildness, why are we using machines to cut grasses?
  • Consider the amount of time you waste cutting your grass. You never get this time back – and it’s usually your most valued time: weekends or holidays in nice weather during the summer. And there you are cutting grass instead of spending time with your family or travelling or socializing.
  • What about the gasoline or electricity you waste on powering a lawn mower. What about the water you waste keeping your lawn wet? Wouldn’t the best thing for planet Earth be to NOT cut your grass?

1 comment:

  1. You could rip it out and put down coloured river stones - or gravel with a few cactus plantings.

    ReplyDelete