Friday, July 24, 2009

My son can read. He’s two years old and has Down syndrome.

On Jake’s two year birthday we were showing him some reading cue cards and I showed him the word “Hi”. He waved. I showed him a bunch of other words, then back to hi. He waved again.

Then I showed him the word “clap”. And he clapped. Today, I showed him the word “nose” and he touched his nose.

He’s two and has Down syndrome. We’ve been signing to him since he was about 6 months old. He stared signing back when he was around a year old. Now he knows more than 80 signs.

We just started the reading thing a few days ago. He loves it. Gets very excited. His default answer to most of the cue cards is “Mom, mom, mom.”

When he reads “clap”, we praise him and clap. He gets excited and starts clapping for the next few cue cards. Very cute.

It’s hard to describe how amazing it is to see your son learn. Especially when your son has challenges and obstacles most people never have to face.

3 comments:

  1. Jake is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon he'll be able to read all of his 80 signs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew he could do it. Yeah Jake - way to go!

    ReplyDelete