Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Experiment #45

Abstract:

The janitor at my work always discusses hockey (specifically, the Vancouver Canucks) whenever he comes into our office to empty the garbage at the end of the day. I never participate in these conversations. I ignore them and continue to do my work. My other two co-workers engage him enthusiastically about hockey*

Purpose

I wanted to see if he would talk to me about hockey, without my co-workers being present. I was making coffee when I heard him coming. When he walked into the room I said, "Hello!" in a friendly and inviting manner.

Results

He said, "Hello. Are you the only one here today?" Then we started talking about how expensive dental work is. He said that his wife was recently asked, while holidaying in Mexico, if she was there for "dental work". Apparently, many Americans cross the border for cheaper dental care.

He did not mention hockey.

Conclusion

He either realizes that I don't talk about hockey or there was no hockey games/news worth talking about today.



* Post script: Although one co-worker admitted that she'll "have to start watching hockey again" so that she can talk about it more intelligently. In other words, she fakes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment