Thursday, August 6, 2009

The "Green" movement bullies people.

Going green is certainly the cool thing nowadays. Buy a green car, install solar panels, buy special light bulbs, compost food, shop at farmer's markets.

While I certainly have respect for planet Earth, I suspect we humans are only a minor irritation. The planet will still be here long after we're gone.

What I don't have much respect for are the bullies of the Green movement. Those are the people who judge you for driving or insist that you ride transit or give you a hard time for buying disposable diapers. They're bullies.

In my last place of work, we had a bunch of green bullies. One guy wrote all these aggressive articles in the company newsletter about how eating meat basically means you're torturing chickens. When I refused to publish his articles (I was in charge of the newsletter), he'd send me snarky little emails about how the "thought-police" were in charge of the newsletter.

At company parties or birthdays, he'd show up and make a big show about grabbing the vegetarian platter or the vegan birthday cake. Then he'd sort of stand beside the cakes and give everyone else dirty looks.

Also, he wore all black. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

The managers of the company were also green bullies. They'd force me to write articles about how "green" the company was. I asked them to send me information and examples, and they would never answer my emails.

The truth was, the company wasn't green at all. We had a recycling bin in the kitchen and at staff meetings the CEO would say some vague thing about how they were "working on" going "carbon neutral". But nothing was ever done.

The CEO even bragged about having her administrative assistant "help her make the company more green". Six months later, that person was laid-off. A few months after that we were all laid off and the company moved to Toronto to save money.

Here's why I don't like green bullies:

1) Most of them are all talk and no action. They say all this stuff but how cars are bad, but if they could afford it, they'd go out and buy a car in a second.

2) They're pushing their values and morals on me and everyone else.

3) They're ill-informed and naive. They think that if government passes some laws, the environment will be fixed.

On the plus side, they certainly care about their environment and understand that they are possibly protecting future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment