Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I forgot to look at myself in the mirror yesterday.

The other day when I was picking up Jake from daycare, I realized that I hadn't looked at myself in a mirror yet.



It was roughly 4:50pm and I was talking to one of the workers. I quickly glanced down at my shirt to see if it was inside out (I've worn an inside out shirt before to daycare when dropping off Jake.) Then I worried about having some huge booger under my nose or mustard stain beside my mouth.



I was just too busy to bother looking at myself. In the morning, I was dealing with Jake and mostly watching him as we brushed our teeth in front of the mirror. My hair's short enough that I can get away with just sightlessly rubbing some gel through there. In the washroom at work I must have just looked at my hands.



When you have a kid, you often forget to do basic things like shower or fix your hair or change out of your grubby food-stained clothes. I don't have the time. Or inclination.



Plus I've seen my face a lot throughout my life and could easily go without seeing it for a day or two.



Speaking of our faces, do you know why we never look quite right in photographs? Because we see our faces non-reversed. It looks weird to our eyes. Normally we only see ourselves backwards (in mirrors), which isn't the way other people see us at all. That's a good analogy to life as well - we don't see ourselves truly as others see us.

1 comment: