Saturday, March 13, 2010

Disposable diapers are a marvel of engineering.

A couple days ago I posted a message about how I hate sippy cups because they were over-engineered and still crappy.

Well, today I wanted to say how impressed I am with disposable diapers. I'm shocked at the amount of urine and poop they can hold. The diapers are pretty small to start with, but as they absorb liquid, they get huge.

One time we didn't plan on swimming and Jake only had a diaper, but we took him in the lake anyway. When he got out, the diaper was hanging down to his ankles. It was like a huge water balloon.

I had measured the lake water and it had receded 5 cm.

On the box it says that one diaper can last for 12 hours. So, in theory, a child really only needs 2 diapers a day - making disposables suddenly very cheap.

When you're a new parent everyone urges you to buy reusable diapers. Yeah right!!! What a waste of money and time and inocnvenice that would be. Imagine changing the diaper every hour. Imagine the leaks and accidents and extra wash you'd need to do because the clothes would be soiled.

Imagine throwing a poopy diaper into laundry with your clean clothes. I say stick with disposable. They're cheap, easy to find, easy to do up, come in a variety of sizes and brands, often go on sale, and come with coupons for other products.

Tell me one thing wrong with disposables!

No comments:

Post a Comment