Thursday, March 25, 2010

Why I don't like the fantasy genre very much.

I'm not a huge fan of the fantasy genre. I'm not a hater, and I can certainly tolerate a good story. But I'm just not that into it.

From the library I borrowed Promethea Book One by Alan Moore and J.H. Williams, a fantasy graphic novel. While reading this I figured out why I don't like fantasy novels. The characters can't really die. Or if they do die, they can come back to life.

In this story, the main character is from a fantasy-realm that takes place in our imaginations and simply cannot die. That bores me.

How can I feel scared for a character if they can't truly die? If I know the character can come back to life, well, that's boring.

Same problem with video games. If you die you can always start over.

The most interesting worlds are the ones where death is permanent and inevitable. Like our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment