Thursday, September 24, 2009

I deliberately hurt myself today.

About a month ago my wife and I saw a cashier at the grocery store with cuts all over her arms. She was young, and she wore a short sleeved shirt. My wife said she was a “cutter”.

From a random website:

Cutting seems to be the most common type of self-injury. "Cutters" often use razors, utility knives, scissors, needles, broken glass, or whatever they find to make repetitive slices on their arms, legs or other body parts. Some people burn themselves with cigarettes or lighters, others pull out their own hair. Many people who self-injure say they do it because they normally feel "numb" and cutting helps them to "feel alive." http://www.essortment.com/articles/self-injury_100006.htm

I don’t understand how someone could do that to themselves. Then yesterday, I realized I was engaging in self-injury by repeatably eating “Ice Breakers Sours Mints”.

I ate 5 sour mints and used my tongue to grind them into a sore spot in my mouth. I just kept grinding them until it hurt. It felt good at the same time.

During dinner, I kept wincing because I was eating spicy salsa with my taco and the food kept hitting the sore spot in my mouth.

1 comment: