Monday, September 21, 2009

I don't like it when people read their speeches.

I think if you're taking the time to sit and listen to someone speak, you shouldn't have to be subjected to someone standing up and reading.

I understand why people read their speech - it's because they're nervous and poor at public speaking. I get it. I don't hate it; I just don't like it.

If I wanted to read, I could have read. They could have just made a photocopy of their speech and gave it to me. Then I could have read it in about a quarter of the time.

Part of the joy of hearing someone speak is getting the nuances and charisma and emotion and humour. You don't get any of that if you're watching someone read.

Cue cards are okay. Occasionally glancing down at your notes is okay. Staring down at your notes and occasionally glancing up at the audience, not okay. Reading a teleprompter, not okay.

What I'd love to see is someone starting off a speech, reading awkwardly from their notes and then suddenly getting brave and discarding them, and talking from the heart. Even if they made lots of mistakes, it would be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment