Thursday, September 10, 2009

I don't have any survival skills in case civilization collapsed.

If civilization collapsed, I'd be in trouble. I think I could survive a few months. Maybe a few years if I'm lucky. But eventually I'd perish through disease, starvation or injury. I really should upgrade my survival skills.

What skills do you need to survive a collapse of civilization? Here are my suggestions:

Camping and outdoor skills
Living in a tent, cooking with propane, starting fires, fishing - all these outdoor skills would come in handy.

Guns and weaponry
You'd have to defend yourself from marauders. You need to learn how to load, clean and fire an array of guns - shotgun, rifle and maybe a handgun. Knives as well.

Hunting and cleaning animals
Learning how to hunt would be critical. As well as cleaning game, and preparing and curing meat.

Basic farming
If you plan on staying in any one spot, you should try to use the land. You should learn basic irrigation, seed planting and harvesting.

Basic Medical
I'd suggest looting a pharmacy and getting a good supply of anti-biotics, acetaminophen and aspirin. Take a medical textbook if there are any left. Also, a few first aid kits. Infections will probably be rampant and you should know how to treat them.

Carpentry and woodwork
Nice to have but not strictly necessary. Within a few years buildings will begin to crumble and fall apart. With basic carpentry skills you could build a house for yourself. Later, you could build furniture and tables and beds.


Electronics and Electricity
Another nice to have, but not strictly necessary. You want to be able to repair electronics, build circuits and make use of batteries and electricity.


Machinery and engine
Maintaining and repairing car engines, and knowing how to syphon gasoline is a definite plus. You may need the use of various vehicles to move from one part of the country to another or to travel long distances for supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment