Monday, October 19, 2009

My boss says I use email too much.

A few days ago my boss called me the "king of email". She often tells me that I use email too much, and says that I need to phone more.

About a week after I first started she came in my office and told me she doesn't like getting a lot of email. I took the hint and stopped emailing her every little thing.

A month after that she called me in my office and told me to stop using email so much. I said ok.

Then a few weeks ago I got this email from saying something like: "Please call people on the phone."

She's a Luddite but, to be fair, I do use email an awful lot. I like it because it leaves a record of all communications. In this job things sometimes come back to bite you and I want a written record of things I said and did.

I also use my email program (Outlook) as a task manager and to do list. It's the way I keep organized. So I often turn emails into tasks that I must complete by a certain date.

I deal with teachers a lot so calling them during the day doesn't work. They're teaching class. Emailing is more convenient.

Mostly I use email so I can avoid talking to people on the phone. I don't like the phone very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment