Monday, October 5, 2009

When I’m pressured, I tell people I’m working on a pros and cons list.

If someone ever pressures you into a decision, a great delaying tactic is to tell them you’re working on a pros and cons list. I do this myself, though I’m rarely pressured into making decisions.

I wonder if anyone actually writes pros and cons lists before making decisions? I don’t think I ever have. If you’re so conflicted about a decision that you need to write a pros and cons list, you could probably make just as effective a decision by flipping a coin.

I’d also wager that most people making a pros and cons list, eventually decide on the “pro” choice. Why? Because you don’t need a list to tell you to say no to things. If you’ve invested enough psychic energy (toward a potential yes decision) to compel you to make list – you’ll probably say yes in the end anyway.

With the above in mind, creating a pros and cons list can actually be harmful. You’re delaying satisfaction by making a list, which ultimately will compel you to say yes in the end anyway. So why not just say yes now?

No comments:

Post a Comment