Thursday, October 8, 2009

Why "surveys" on websites and radio stations are useless.

I've seen so many surveys in local newspaper, websites or radio shows that ask questions like, "Do you think the government should build another sky train line?"

Or "Do you think we should have cameras on the HOV lane to catch cheaters?"

Duh. Of course everyone's going to say yes to these kinds of questions. Who wouldn't want better transit and punishment for cheating drivers?

The problem is that the questions never mention the consequence. Namely, money. It costs money to do the above things and that means you pay through your taxes.

I think the questions should have the following added to the end: "...if you had to send a cheque for $200 right now to cover the cost?"

In fact, I think any person (usually left, wing liberal) who says something like, "I think we should have more [blank] so that [the world will be a better place]" should be asked if they're willing to write a cheque then and there.

I'm going to try that from now on. Except I'm thinking it might come off as obnoxious. Ah, so what!

No comments:

Post a Comment