Monday, November 2, 2009

A good scam for getting spare change.

Today I came across a great scam for getting spare change from someone. There are quite a few scam artists in Vancouver who have evolved techniques to get money from people.

One guy goes around asking form a few dollars because he ran out of gas. Another woman pretends she's blind and asks for help at a crosswalk. Then she asks for money.

Today I was walking to my car in a paid parking lot. A guy passed me near the parking machine, cursing out loud. "Oh man I don't have enough!" he said loudly so I could hear.

Then he asked me, "Do you have a quarter?" He motioned toward the

Now normally I'd pony up. But for some reason I was suspicious of this guy. I said, "No" and kept walking. When I got in my car I watched him through the windshield.

He walked around the lot for awhile and then left. He didn't go back to his car, which makes me think that I was right. He doesn't have a car. He pretended to be short for parking. A great scam. It seemed so natural and a part of me wanted to help.

Oh well, I'm sure he'll find someone else to give him a quarter for his parking pass.

1 comment:

  1. A few days later I got in my car in the same lot and a woman motioned me to roll down the window.

    She said, "Sir, can you help me???" in a really plaintiff, whiny voice. She was clearly on drugs or drunk.

    I said, "Sorry", rolled up my window and drove away.

    ReplyDelete