Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Today is Remembrance Day

This is definitely the most solemn holiday. You're not really supposed to be happy on this day - which is tough because it's a free day off work. (It's a holiday in some parts of Canada, not in others.) How can you not be happy?

Actually Good Friday is also supposed to be a bummer. Jesus died. How can you be happy about that? The thing is a lot of people aren't religious so they're not too bummed out about Good Friday.

Remembrance Day on the other hand is just sad. All those people who died in wars. Suffered for us and our freedom. Sacrificed their lives.

It's always cold on Remembrance Day and raining or snowing. There's supposed to be a minute silence at 11am, but no one ever goes the full minute. It's more like a 30 second silence, and even then it's punctuated by that sad trumpet.

In school Remembrance Day was the day when you had an assembly and someone read Flanders Fields and an old war vet came and spoke about the war. I remember being proud of wearing my poppy, and often pricking my fingers on its pin.

One Remembrance Day I was in a really solemn mood. I decided I would write a poem about the sacrifice veterans made for us. A poem that would rival Flanders Fields. About 5 minutes in I realized my poem was horrible and I quickly aborted the idea. That was the day that I basically learned I'd never be a poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment