Monday, November 30, 2009

I hate how exaggerated the news is.

I hate how every news story is exaggerated with catastrophic words. We're in a "hunger crisis", there was a "financial meltdown", swine flu is a "pandemic".

C'mon. When you use the word "catastrophe" too much, it loses it's meaning. If we keep calling every news story a "tremendous tragedy" and the "worst [blank] since [blank]" their seriousness and weightiness becomes diluted.

If every minor bad thing is a "disaster", then how do we know when there is truly a disaster?

After awhile nothing can shock me. Everything has already broken down and destroyed. Society has already collapsed. And I'm still here. Eating and wearing warm clothes and living in decent shelter.

We should stop exaggerating because when I turn on the news and hear that something is "devastated" I don't pay attention any more. I assume it's a simple exaggeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment