Thursday, April 22, 2010

How do I relate-socially with someone who's 19?

I have another phone interview today. The woman sounds very very young. Early 20s is my guess. Maybe even 19.

I wrote in an earlier posting that I've decided to treat phone interview more like social chats. Most phone interviews are more like elimination interviews. A sure way to be eliminated is to start stiffly talking about how qualified you are for the job.

"What a loser," the interviewer would think. "Why would I want to hire a cold dude that only talks about his work?"

But if you're social during a telephone interview, the person will say, "Hey, he's pretty cool. Plus his resume shows he's qualified. Let's call him in and see in person."

This technique has worked for me 100% of the time! (1 for 1).

Now the problem is, because she's so young, how do I relate? I've never spoken socially to a young person before.

I have no idea what young adults talk about from ages 18 until about 25. How do I sound cool and hip, without coming off as trying to hard?

I need to think of some great stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment