Friday, April 2, 2010

Why it's hard to find a job here.

Well I had another phone elimination interview last week. I hate these pre-phone interviews where they ask you questions in hopes that they can eliminate you from their short list.

I wrote another blog entry about the challenge of a phone interview - how to keep my voice positive and upbeat when I sound naturally depressed and monotone.

I sensed I did okay in this phone interview. Hopefully he'll call me in for a real interview this week.

Anyway, a few people have asked me how the job market was here. I don't really know at this point. My impression is that there are jobs here, but they're hard to get because of a hugely qualified pool of workers.

In other words, when you apply for jobs your biggest obstacle are the hundreds of resumes from people who are very highly qualified.

It's an employers' market, and they have the best of the best lining up to work for them. That's why it's hard to get a good job.

(At least this is what I tell myself whenever I get rejected for a new job.)

No comments:

Post a Comment