Saturday, April 17, 2010

Will this ever happen at work?

ROWE stands for "Results Only Working Environment". It seems like every time I read a business book I hear about a successful, forward-thinking company who has abolished all meetings, attendance and schedules.

Employees can show up whenever they want and leave when ever they want. As long as they get the work done. "Results-only".

This sounds too good to be true. But the business books proclaim that this new management style makes companies more efficient, stronger, happier and their employees love it.

I'm sure they do - if it exists. I'm skeptical. First, I don't think many companies can go this route. They need schedules and meetings and managers and timetables. Most of these kind of companies profiled in business books are software development companies.

Second, the vast vast majority of managers or leaders or executives within a company believe in top-down management. They don't want their employees to have free will. They themselves worked their way up the ranks and are successful in the top-down system.

They're not going to suddenly say, "You know, as a leader, I'm not really needed even though I worked my way up into this position for 15 years. I'll let my employees have all the power."

Third, if ROWE makes companies so much more successful, why aren't all companies doing it?

Sorry, it won't happen. I'll mark this down as "a nice-sounding but totally impractical idea."

No comments:

Post a Comment