Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Amazing Kreskin

For our anniversary, Cindy bought me tickets to see the Amazing Kreskin for a 2 hour show in Maple Ridge. Kreskin is a legendary mentalist.

The show was pretty good. Most impressive is when he reads people's minds. He asks the audience if someone is thinking of a certain thing and then a person might raise their hand. He asks the person to stand and proceeds to "read their mind" by stating facts.

For example, Kreskin said, "Does 'bird' come to anyone's mind?"

A guy raised his hand and said, "I was just thinking of my bird."

Then Kreskin said, "Do you like music? Elvis Presley?"

The guy said, "My bird is named Elvis."

Then Kreskin nailed about 5 more facts, including the guy's birthday and roommate's name.

For some people, he'd only nail a few facts and then stop talking. For other, people he'd be on a role and nail 5 or 6 facts. He only made one mistake: He told a guy his birthday was in 78 but it was actually 58.

We hid his cheque in the theatre and he found it. He also did some fun hypnosis. Kreskin claimed that he wasn't psychic and he didn't do tricks. He didn't understand how he "knew" these things, but insisted there was no magic and no accomplices.

One thing I noticed is that he tells a lot of stories and tends to drone on and scatter his thoughts. At first I thought it was just because he was old. Then I thought he's doing it on purpose, telling us subconsciously what to do so he could later read our minds. Clever. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

It also occurs to me that I think Kreskin has perfect hearing and perfect pitch. He seems to hear things from people's voices and he's a whiz at the piano.

It was a pretty good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment