Sunday, December 6, 2009

Not just a cliche.

I used to think that when parents were asked about the gender of their unborn child, and they said they didn't care, as long as the baby was healthy - I used to think they were lying.

I thought, they must care. The "healthy" thing was just what you were "supposed" to say. It was what society expected you to say.

Having a child with a disability, I can now tell you categorically that I was wrong. Cindy and I don't care at all if the baby is a boy or a girl. In fact, we don't often talk about the gender. If we do talk about the gender we only say neutral, practical things like, "If it's a girl, we have to buy a few pink outfits to get past the first few months."

This time we're not going to ask for the gender ahead of time. It's not that important, and we don't really want to know. What is important is HEALTH. That's really everything. That's all we care about.

It's certainly our biggest worry this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment