Saturday, December 19, 2009

We had our "team meeting" about Jake.

On Thursday I had a "team meeting" with all of Jake's kind-hearted but pretty useless community support people. His physiotherapist, speech therapist, something else, daycare worker and daycare manager showed up (the daycare people aren't useless).

The idea is that we "set goals" for Jake's progress so that we can "all be on the same page".

Every few months we get a phone call from one of the "team members" to have a "goal meeting". Usually it doesn't happen because they only work 10 hours a week and we can never settle on a date or time. But I guess their year-end evaluations are due and they need to fill out some paperwork on Jake so they all agreed on a time and place.

I told the daycare people that they didn't have to come because it was pretty useless. I didn't go to the last one, but Cindy told me they all basically sat around asking her the same questions over and over again and telling her that Jake "eats normally". A pretty bizarre thing to say considering he has a g-tube because he doesn't eat or drink on his own, and is underweight.

The daycare people said they wanted to go and asked me if the behaviourist was coming. I said, "Hell no". We pay her $150 an hour to teach us how to make Jake eat, not to sit around and talk about goals, ask dumb questions and make inane statements.

So we all went. I brought Jake along so I could use him as an excuse to duck out early when I started getting annoyed. (I gotta be polite because they control some of our funding.)

I showed up, sat there politely for an hour, then left. It was what I expected - pretty pointless. Talk means nothing. I can sit around and talk for hours about everything I want Jake to do, but that doesn't get anything done.

No comments:

Post a Comment